Our History

In the late 1940’s, the congregations of the Church of God Evening Light Saints in California banded together to move their state campground to a 5.4 acre horse property that had been purchased in the Northeast San Fernando Valley near Hanson Dam, and a new organization, the Church of God Camp Ground, Inc., was formed.

While the new organization expected to hold annual campmeetings and assembly meetings on the property, the state of California required that regular worship services be held there as well.  One of the local Los Angeles congregations, which at the time regularly convened at a little chapel on Perlita Avenue near Glendale, volunteered to transition to the new property and begin worshiping there regularly, and the Church of God Pacoima congregation was established.

Over the past nearly 70 years, a number of families and influential Church of God ministers have worshiped here, including pastors Sister Opal Wilson, Brother Ostis B. Wilson, Brother Frances Doolittle,  and Sister Beverly Reed.

In 2002, Brother Paul Phillips Jr. of Wichita, Kansas moved with his family to our area, and has served as the pastor of our congregation for the past 18 years.

Church Entrance – Then and Now

Church Chapel – Then and Now

Perlita Congregation